CS – Johnson’s Division



Steuart’s Brigade.


1st Maryland Battalion Infantry:

Lieut. Col. J. R. Herbert.

Maj. W. W. Goldsborough.

Capt. J. P. Crane.

1st North Carolina, Lieut. Col. H. A. Brown.

3d North Carolina, Maj. W. M. Parsley.

10th Virginia, Col. E. T. H. Warren.

23d Virginia, Lieut. Col. S. T. Walton.

37th Virginia, Maj. H. C. Wood.

Jones’ Brigade.

Brig. Gen. JOHN M. JONES.
Lieut. Col. R. H. DUNGAN.

21st Virginia, Capt. W. P. Moseley.

25th Virginia:

Col. J. C. Higginbotham.

Lieut. Col. J. A. Robinson.

42d Virginia:

Lieut. Col. R. W. Withers.

Capt. S. H. Saunders.

44th Virginia:

Maj. N. Cobb.

Capt. T. R. Buckner.

48th Virginia:

Lieut. Col. R. H. Dungan.

Maj. Oscar White.

50th Virginia, Lieut. Col. L. H. N. Salyer.

Stonewall Brigade.Brig. Gen. JAMES A. WALKER.

2d Virginia, Col. J.Q.A. Nadenbousch.

4th Virginia, Maj. William Terry.

5th Virginia, Col. J. H. S. Funk.

27th Virginia, Lieut. Col. D. M. Shriver.

33d Virginia, Capt. J. B. Golladay.Nicholls’ Brigade.(*)Col. J. M. WILLIAMS.

1st Louisiana, Capt. E. D. Willett.

2d Louisiana, Lieut. Col. R. E. Burke.

10th Louisiana, Maj. T. N. Powell.

14th Louisiana. Lieut. Col. David Zable.

15th Louisiana, Maj. Andrew Brady.Artillery.Maj. J. W. LATIMER.

Capt. C. I. RAINE.

1st Maryland Battery, Capt. William F. Dement.

Alleghany (Virginia) Artillery, Capt. J. C. Carpenter.

Chesapeake (Maryland) Artillery. Capt. William D. Brown.

Lee (Virginia) Battery: Capt. C. I. Raine./Lieut. William W. Hardwicke.













S#  44




JUNE 3-AUGUST 1, 1863.–The Gettysburg Campaign.
No. 428.–Reports of Brig. Gen. William N. Pendleton, C. S. Army, Chief of Artillery.

While the First Corps thus advanced into position and operated on the right, the batteries of the Third Corps from the advanced position in the center, early taken, occupied the attention of the enemy by a deliberate fire during the whole afternoon. Opportunity was once or twice taken by myself to observe the progress and effect of this fire. It elicited a spirited reply, and was useful in preventing full concentration by the enemy on either flank. On the left, attack was also delayed till the afternoon.

About 4 p.m. the guns of the Second Corps, in position on that front, generally opened with a well-directed and effective fire. This also (although the right seemed to claim my chief attention) was partially observed by me from the central ridge in rear of the Third Corps. Massed as were the enemy’s batteries on the Cemetery Hill, fronting our left, and commanding as was their position, our artillery, admirably served as it was, operated there under serious disadvantage and with considerable loss. It still, however, for the most part, maintained its ground, and prepared the way for infantry operations. Here the gallant Major Latimer, so young and yet so exemplary, received the wound which eventuated in his death.

Thus stood affairs at nightfall, the 2d: On the left and in the center, nothing gained; on the right, batteries and lines well advanced, the enemy meanwhile strengthening himself in a position naturally formidable and everywhere difficult of approach.


JUNE 3-AUGUST 1, 1863.–The Gettysburg Campaign.
No. 429.–Report of Lieut. Col. Briscoe G. Baldwin, C. S. Army, Chief of Ordnance, of artillery captured and lost during the Pennsylvania Campaign.

January 19, 1864.

Captured and brought off from the field at Gettysburg, in the actions of July 1 and 2, 1863, seven pieces of artillery.

Left near the battle-field, one 12-pounder howitzer and carriage, which was afterward secured and brought off in a wagon of the reserve ordnance train, the carriage having been destroyed on the field.

Abandoned on the road near Fairfield, one 12-pounder howitzer and carriage, one 6-pounder bronze gun and carriage, which were afterward secured and brought off in wagons, the carriages having been destroyed.

Number of pieces of artillery actually gained, seven.

Two pieces and carriages lost at Falling Waters not reported to me.


 Lieut. Col., Chief of Ordnance, Army of Northern Virginia.



JUNE 3-AUGUST 1, 1863.–The Gettysburg Campaign.
No. 488.–Reports of Brig. Gen. James A. Walker, C. S. Army, commanding brigade.

August 17, 1863.

CAPTAIN: In obedience to circular from division headquarters, I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of the Stonewall Brigade at the battle of Gettysburg, and subsequently until it recrossed the Potomac:

On the evening of July, 1, the brigade, with the rest of the division, arrived at Gettysburg, Pa., and after nightfall took position on the southeast side of the town, near the Hanover road, and on the extreme left of our line, on Culp’s farm, and, throwing forward skirmishers, we remained for the night.

At dawn the next morning, the enemy’s skirmishers were seen in our front, and a brisk fire was opened between them and my own, which was kept up during the day at long range, with but short intervals of quiet. About 6 p.m. our line was advanced in a northerly direction, and took position immediately on the north side of the Hanover road. In this position, our left flank being harassed by the enemy’s sharpshooters, posted in a wheat-field and wood, I ordered Colonel Nadenbousch with his regiment (the Second Virginia)to clear the field, and advance into the wood, and ascertain, if possible, what force the enemy had at that point, which he did at a single dash, his men advancing with great spirit, driving the enemy’s skirmishers out of the clear ground and following them into the woods.

When he had advanced some distance into the woods, the enemy opened on his line with two pieces of artillery, and he fell back into the clear ground again, leaving skirmishers in the edge of the wood, and reported that the enemy had a large force of cavalry (supposed to be two brigades), two regiments of infantry, and a battery of artillery. This information I communicated through a staff officer to Major-General Johnson, and immediately thereafter received information from Major [H. K.] Douglas, of his staff, that the line was about to advance, with instructions from General Johnson to remain on the flank, if I thought it necessary.

As our flank and rear would have been entirely uncovered and unprotected in the event of my moving with the rest of the division, and as our movement must have been made in full view of the enemy, <ar44_519> I deemed it prudent to hold my position until after dark, which I did.

After dark, I withdrew, and leaving a picket on the Hanover road, joined the rest of the division in rear of the enemy’s breastworks, which they had driven them from the evening before.

At daylight next morning 3d, Steuart’s brigade, which was immediately in my front, became hotly engaged, and, on receiving a request from General Steuart, I moved up to his support, and became warmly engaged along my whole line, and my right, extending beyond the breastworks, suffered very heavily.

After five hours’ incessant firing, being unable to drive the enemy from his strong position, and a brigade of Rodes’ division coming to our assistance, I drew my command back under the hill out of the fire, to give them an opportunity to rest and clean their guns and fill up their cartridge-boxes. In about an hour, I was ordered by General Johnson to move more to the right, and renew the attack, which was done with equally bad success as our former efforts, and the fire became so destructive that I suffered the brigade to fall back to a more secure position, as it was a useless sacrifice of life to keep them longer under so galling a fire. An hour or two later, I was again ordered to advance, so as to keep the enemy in check, which I did, sheltering my men and keeping up a desultory fire until dark.

About midnight, we were drawn off with the rest of the division, and at daylight were again formed in line of battle on the heights south of Gettysburg, where we remained all day and until about 11 o’clock, when we marched with the division in the direction of Fairfield.

The subsequent operations of this brigade up to the crossing of the Potomac having been altogether with the division and under the eye of the major-general, I do not deem any report necessary.

It affords me pleasure to say that the officers and men of the brigade behaved in a manner worthy their high reputation. It may seem individious to select any particular officer for commendation, but justice requires that I should especially notice the gallant and efficient conduct of Maj. William Terry, commanding the Fourth Virginia Regiment, who gallantly led his regiment almost to the breastworks of the enemy, and only retired after losing three-fourths of his command.

I am, captain, very respectfully,



 Captain [R. W.] HUNTER,

Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.



JUNE 3-AUGUST 1, 1863.–The Gettysburg Campaign.
No. 489.–Reports of Col. J. Q. A. Nadenbousch, Second Virginia Infantry.

July 30, 1863.

LIEUTENANT: In obedience to orders from brigade headquarters, I have the honor to make to you the following report of the participation of the Second Regiment Virginia Infantry in the battle near Gettysburg, Pa., on July 1, 2, and 3:

On the evening of July 1, the Second, with the other regiments of the brigade, arrived at Gettysburg, Pa. During the night of the 1st instant, we took position on the southeast side of the town of Gettysburg, near the Hanover road, and on the extreme left of our line, on Culp’s farm, and, throwing forward skirmishers, we remained for the night. At dawn, a brisk skirmish commenced with our skirmishers and those of the enemy, which was kept up during the day, with but short intervals.

About 6 p.m. our line was advanced in a northerly direction, and took position immediately on the north side of the Hanover road. Our skirmishers being much harassed and forced back by the enemy on our left, I was ordered by Brigadier-General Walker to take my regiment and clear the front, which I at once did, having a sharp skirmish with the enemy, but soon drove him from our front for some distance, killing, wounding, and taking some few prisoners. Here I had some 3 men wounded. Both officers and men behaved well.

At 8 p.m. I rejoined the brigade with my regiment, when we marched, and, halting near Rock Creek, we remained until about 2 a.m. 3d instant, when we marched, crossing to the north bank of Rock Creek, and took position at the base of Culp’s Hill, on the left of the line, and in front of the enemy’s breastworks some 30 yards, with our left resting on Rock Creek. With orders to support the Third Brigade infantry (Brig. Gen. G. H. Steuart), then occupying said works on the extreme left.

At dawn, the enemy made a desperate attack on our lines by a heated fire of shot, shell, grape, and musketry. At this time we were moved forward, and occupied the breastworks immediately in our front. It soon became apparent from the advance of the enemy that his purpose was to turn our left flank, and thus enfilade that portion of the work occupied by our troops.

Having communicated the condition of the line at this point to Brig. Gen. G. H. Steuart, senior brigadier-general present at the time. Maj. Gen. E. Johnson being engaged at another part of the line at the time, I was ordered by Brigadier-General Walker to support the First North Carolina Regiment (Lieutenant-Colonel [H. A.] Brown) in the protection of our left flank. I at once detached one company (Company D. Lieut. J. S. Harrison commanding), and sent it to the south side of the creek (Rock Creek), for the purpose of attracting the fire of the enemy in front and turning his right flank. He continued steadily to advance, and when within some 25 yards of the left of the works, I opened a heated oblique fire from the right of the regiment upon him. For some moments he stood stubbornly. At this juncture, I detached some two more of my companies, and posted some at a bend of the creek, some 60 yards to the rear and left, and in full view of the enemy. The remainder I sent on the south side of the creek to re-enforce Lieutenant Harrison, at that point engaging the enemy. With this concentrated fire, he was soon forced to retire in confusion. <ar44_522>

About 7 a.m. the portion of my regiment left at the breastworks was relieved by Brig. Gen. William Smith’s brigade.

There still being a brisk skirmish kept up on the south side of the creek with the portion of my regiment there, I at once took the remainder of my regiment to their support, reporting to Brigadier-General Walker as to the disposition made and where to be found. I advanced some distance on the left, driving the enemy’s skirmishers from and taking possession of the heights at this point, where I remained during the day, skirmishing with and inflicting some injury on the enemy by killing, wounding, and taking some prisoners, and keeping the left flank clear.

At 8 p.m., by order of Brigadier-General Walker, I rejoined the brigade on the north side of the creek, at the base of Culp’s Hill, and in front of the enemy’s works, Companies I (Captain [James H.] O’Bannon), K (Lieut. B. W. Moore), and portion of A, of my regiment, having been detached on the evening of the 2d instant, and left in rear on picket to guard the Hanover road, in our rear. My regiment on the 3d instant consisted only of seven and a portion of the eighth company.

During the two days’ engagement, I lost 1 man killed and 16 wounded and 3 missing, a list of which you will find annexed.(*)

During this time both officers and men, with but few exceptions, behaved as is becoming good soldiers.

I deem it but just to make honorable mention of the gallant conduct of Capt. W. W. Randolph, Company C, whose valuable services in assisting in managing the left wing added much to the efficiency of my regiment. Also, Lieut. J. S. Harrison, commanding Company D, while detached, skirmishing, for coolness and skill displayed in the management of his men.

At 2 a.m. the 4th instant, the regiment, with the remainder of the brigade, marched and took position on the heights, on the farm of Mr. Booker, immediately on the north side of Gettysburg, where we remained until 1 a.m. 5th instant, when we marched westward in the direction of Hagerstown, Md.

I am, sir, your obedient servant,


Colonel Second Regiment Virginia Infantry.

  Lieut. C. S. ARNALL,

Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Stonewall Brigade.



JUNE 3-AUGUST 1, 1863.–The Gettysburg Campaign.
No. 493.–Reports of Lieut. Col. Daniel M. Shriver, Twenty-seventh Virginia Infantry.

JULY 19,1863.

 SIR: On Wednesday, July 1, my regiment, with the brigade, marched from Fayetteville, Pa., to Gettysburg, at which latter place we arrived a little before dark. We then took position on the left of <ar44_528> the division, and about 2 miles to the left of Gettysburg, that night.

We lay in this position all night. Changed position about daylight the next morning on the same line, moving up by the left flank about a quarter of a mile. Remained here until about 5 p.m., when we moved by the right flank, and took position parallel with our former one, and about 300 yards in advance of it.

We changed position frequently during the night, and finally, at about daybreak on Friday 3d, we occupied the hill in front of the enemy’s fortifications.

A short time after daylight, we became engaged, and were not withdrawn until about 10 a.m., when we were called off, and ordered to clean guns and supply ourselves with ammunition. We were then moved to the right of our first position, and a second time engaged the enemy for about an hour, when, the position not being tenable, our troops fell back and were reorganized.

In about two hours, we resumed our position, about half way up the hill, and there remained until ordered beyond Gettysburg, which we accomplished about daylight on July 4. Remained here in line all day, and about 10 p.m. marched with the army in its retrograde movement. These movements recorded were all done in concert with the brigade.

I have the honor to state that the officers and men behaved with all of their accustomed gallantry, no instances of shirking having come under my notice.

My regiment went into action with 114 muskets, 1 field officer, 2 staff officers, and 12 company officers. Out of this number, 47 were killed, wounded, and missing–7 killed; 34 wounded, and 6 missing.

Respectfully submitted.


 Lieutenant-Colonel, Comdg. Twenty-seventh Virginia Infantry.

 Lieut. C. S. ARNALL,

Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.



JUNE 3-AUGUST 1, 1863.–The Gettysburg Campaign.
No. 494.–Reports of Capt. J. B. Golladay, Thirty-third Virginia Infantry.

JULY 16,1863.

 SIR: In pursuance to an order to report the operations of the Thirty-third Regiment Virginia Infantry around Gettysburg, Pa., the following brief one is submitted:

Leaving bivouac near Chambersburg, the regiment reached Gettysburg late on the evening of the 1st instant, and halted for several hours on the battle-ground of that day, and some time during the night took position with the balance of the brigade on the extreme left. In this position it remained the residue of the night and until late in the evening of the succeeding day, nothing being done excepting by its skirmishers and sharpshooters, who were advanced and deployed immediately after the line of battle was formed. It may be well to state here that during the day its skirmishers gained ground upon those of the enemy confronting them, inflicting loss and receiving none whatever.

Late in the evening of the 2d, the regiment took and occupied momentarily a position several hundred yards in advance of the one previously occupied, and then, moving by the left flank, took and occupied a position forming an oblique angle to the position first taken. The movements of the skirmishers conformed to those of the regiment all the while. Immediately after nightfall, the skirmishers were withdrawn, and the regiment quitted the position last occupied, and moved what was supposed to be a mile or two to the right of the position taken the preceding night, where it rested the greater part of the night.

About 3 a.m. 3d, it was aroused, and marched off a short distance, when it found itself directly in the presence of the enemy. After daybreak, the regiment in line of battle advanced upon the enemy, strongly intrenched in a most advantageous position, and engaged him at intervals for about five hours. It is true that the supply of ammunition was exhausted after an hour or two of spirited fighting, but at the same time partial supplies were obtained upon the field, and thus part of the regiment was engaged for the length of time mentioned.

The regiment was then withdrawn, and after it was gotten in some sort of order, replenished its exhausted stock of ammunition, &c., it was moved by the right flank, and, forming a line of battle several hundred yards to the right of the first position, advanced upon the enemy, and engaged him for half an hour or an hour.

It was withdrawn from the position last named and marched to the rear, where it remained long enough to get some rest, and replenish once more its nearly exhausted ammunition. About the middle of the afternoon, it was marched again back to the scene of action, taking a position still farther to the right of the first and second positions occupied by it in the earlier part of the day’s engagement. Here it remained until after nightfall, when it quietly retired, nothing having occurred but skirmishing.

It would be invidious to speak of the bearing of particular officers and men, when all manifested such remarkable coolness and intrepidity during the sanguinary conflict. The loss of Captains [G. C.] Eastham and [George R.] Bedinger is felt and mourned (the first falling to rise no more on the evening of the 2d instant, and the latter on the morning of the 3d instant, perhaps farther in advance of the line of battle than any other officer or man), as well as a list of non-commissioned officers and privates, who certainly composed part of the flower of the regiment. <ar44_531>

The accompanying list of killed, wounded, and missing, (*) prepared with the greatest care with reference to brevity, exhibits the actual loss sustained.

I am, very respectfully, yours,


 Captain, Commanding Thirty-third Virginia Infantry.

 Lieut. C. S. ARNALL,

Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *