US – NY 44th – Connor

No.  200

Reports of Lieut. Col. Freeman Conner, Forty-fourth New York Infantry.


LIEUTENANT: I have the honor to submit the following report of the action taken by this regiment in the engagement on July 2:

About 4 p.m. our regiment, Col. J. C. Rice commanding, was placed in position on Round Top hill, with the Eighty-third Pennsylvania on our left and the Sixteenth Massachusetts on our right.  Company B was immediately thrown out as skirmishers.  When they had advanced about 300 yards, they met the enemy advancing in three lines of battle.

Orders were immediately given by Capt. L. S. Larrabee, commanding the company, to fall back upon the battalion.  It was while executing this order that that faithful and brave officer was shot through the body and instantly killed, being the first officer that this regiment ever had killed in battle.

The enemy continued to advance until the first line came within about 40 yards of our line.  Upon their first appearance we opened a heavy fire upon them, which was continued until they were compelled to retreat.  After they had disappeared in our immediate rant, we turned our fire upon those who had advanced in the hollow to our right, and continued it until we were out of ammunition.

After we had been engaged about one hour, Colonel Vincent, commanding brigade, was wounded, and the command fell upon Col. J. C. Rice, and the command of the regiment upon myself.

We remained in our position until the next morning about 8 a.m., when we were relieved by Colonel Hayes, Eighteenth Massachusetts.  We were then moved to the right about three-eighths of a mile, and formed in line of battle, the Sixteenth Michigan on our left and the Twentieth Maine on our right.

I regret to add that in addition to Captain Larrabee, whose death I have already noticed, the officers are called upon to mourn the loss of First Lieut.  Eugene L. Dunham, Company D, a brave and efficient officer, who was instantly killed during the heavy firing from the enemy in our front.  Capt. William R. Bourne, Company K; Capt. Bennett Hunger, Company C; Adjt. George B. Herendeen; First Lieut. Charles H. Zeilman, commanding Company F, and Second Lieut. Benjamin K. Thomas, Company K, were wounded, the latter, it is feared, mortally.

It affords me great pleasure to be able to state that both officers and men behaved with the greatest coolness and bravery, not a single case of cowardice having come to my ear.

Our casualties were:

Officers and Men Killed Wounded Missing Total
Officers 2 5 .  .  .  .  . 7
Enlisted Men 24 73 7 104
Total* 26 78 7 111

Most respectfully, your obedient servant,


Lieut.  Col., Comdg.  Forty-fourth New York Volunteers.


Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.


August 14, 1863.

LIEUTENANT: I have the honor to make the following supplementary report of the operations of this command, from June 29 until its arrival at Warrenton, Va.:

On Friday, July 10, I was ordered to take my command, in company with the remainder of the Third Brigade, to Jones’ Cross-Roads, Md., near Antietam Creek.

Pickets were established, for which my regiment furnished three companies.

The following morning at daylight skirmishing began, the enemy making his appearance in front in quite heavy force.  Skirmishers were thrown out from my command with the others of the brigade, and the skirmishing was continued until I was relieved at 3 p.m. by a portion of the Second Corps, when I rejoined the brigade.  Re-crossed the Potomac River on Friday, July 17.

Reached Manassas Gap on Thursday, 23d instant, where we anticipated a fight, but were disappointed.  Bivouacked near Warrenton, Va., July 29.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Lieutenant-Colonel, Comdg.  Forty-fourth New York Vols.

Lieut.  JOHN M.  CLARK,

Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.

* But see revised statement, p.  179.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *